Pages

Friday 6 January 2012

Hello 2012 . . . (movies, resolutions and yes, I'm still around)


Has 2012 snuck up on anyone besides me? Possibly not. But I swear it felt like just a few days ago it was July 2011 and I was all excited about blogging. I guess I missed a few months there? Hm . . .


As we're into the first week of January I feel all ready to take on a new year. Well, as ready as I'm going to be. Of course, I'm still on holiday (so cheeky) so a few things will have to wait till I return from New York and am back in London.



One of the things that doesn't have to wait is my resolution to blog at least once a week. So, here we go, starting off what will hopefully be a year of blogging in the right way (or at least in a more regular way).



As I've been on holiday I haven't been up to too much-- just visiting family and friends. Which is of course a real treat when you live across the ocean and only get to see loved ones maybe once or twice a year.


Over the Christmas break I saw two movies which I'd highly recommend.


Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows


Ok, I suspect this is either the type of movie you'll love or hate. Either you love the re-imagining of Sherlock Holmes as a steampunk action film or you don't. If you loved the first movie you'll love this one.




We Bought a Zoo

My mom really really wanted to go see this movie. I was so on the fence. However, I have to say, this will now be one of those guilty pleasure films I'll watch again and again (like Under the Tuscan Sun-- ssh, we all have those heartwarming guilty pleasure movies, don't judge). It's a moving family drama that proves Matt Damon can act. Of course if you've read the book you'll know there was a lot of artistic licence taken (considering this zoo was based on Dartmoor Zoo in England, not a made up zoo in Southern California). However, if you can look past all that, then you'll enjoy the story-- which is at times a bit too Hollywood for me, but somehow so enjoyable you can't help laughing and sometimes tearing up. Or if you can, you've been warned.


Anyway, what have you all been up to over the holiday? Hopefully your 2012s are off to a great start.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! You're back! I can't wait to see what youwill be up to this year! What other resolutions do you have?

    I fully intend to see the Sherlock Holmes film. (I did indeed like the last one). I was going to give the Zoo movie a pass, but now I might reconsider. What other movies have caught your eye for the new year? (My husband was showing me the trailer for John Carter... that looks good!)

    Welcome back!
    -A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoo is brilliant! It's just the right mix of adorable and emotional with this crumbling family who are healing through the process of an impulsive decision to buy a zoo. Of course, what kind of people can afford to buy a zoo and maintain it-- well, I don't know anyone, but it works. The same way Under the Tuscan Sun or Eat, Pray, Love work. A bit escapist, but something you can also hold onto in your daily life.

    I haven't heard of John Carter, I'll look it up. I'm officially counting down to The Hunger Games.

    I also saw It's a Wonderful Life on the big screen this holiday season- nothing makes me cry like George Bailey's journey. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and you'll LOVE A Game of Shadows-- it was as good as the original. My husband claims it was better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As for other resolutions, I'll get them up here very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You're back! I can't wait to see what youwill be up to this year! What other resolutions do you have?

    I fully intend to see the Sherlock Holmes film. (I did indeed like the last one). I was going to give the Zoo movie a pass, but now I might reconsider. What other movies have caught your eye for the new year? (My husband was showing me the trailer for John Carter... that looks good!)

    Welcome back!
    -A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We caught Game of Thrones today. Loved it! I'm not sure if I liked it as much or more than the first, but I really did like it. I like that I can see the progress of time in this movie, that the world of Holmes isn't static. And I love the mind-fight scenes and how they changed based on variables that weren't analyzed before (like what happened with the gypsy girl) and later the curve ball from Holmes himself. And, may I just say that hearing certain names sent a chill down my spine. I'm trying to avoid spoilers for anyone else, but it certainly made for an entertaining 129 minutes.

    Thanks for the recommend!

    ReplyDelete