Pages

Friday 9 March 2012

Things I am not . . .

It's easy to get bogged down with all the things people expect you to be. Lately, I've been wrestling with the idea that there are a lot of things I'm not.

For instance, I am not a genie.
Yup, I don't grant wishes. Bummer right?
I am sadly not a T-Rex.

This is probably a good thing. A T-rex is scary dino.



I am not a magic fortune telling fish.

It's true. I don't have any answers and the future is as much a mystery to me as it is to you.








I am not a girl who can control her frizzy hair.
See, this is what happens when you brush curly hair!! Someone get this girl some frizz ease or a hair tie!  

I think for me the things I'm not define me as much as the things I am. It's easy to get caught up in worrying about all the things you're not. It's easy to forget all the things you are.

I've also been a listening to a 'found song'. You know when you stumble across a song you should have heard ages ago-- but somehow missed. For me, that song is "These Days" by Gemma Hayes. The line that rolls over and over in my head is "Please do not confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them."

And maybe that's what we all need. A couple of days where we don't think about all the things we're not. Where we don't dwell on our failures. Because most of us don't forget them.

Maybe it's important sometimes to remember all the impossible things we're not. And be happy for the things we are. Ourselves. Our frizzy haired, non-T-Rex, non-wish granting selves.

It's a start.

3 comments:

  1. Honey, I feel this one. I feel this one so hard. Especially today. Especially any day where "the magic finger" proves ineffective.

    By the way, from what I understand (not having seen any more than the trailers for that movie, yet) you are that girl, though. The brave one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost constantly wish I was a T Rex. Or a cat. Or a fox. Or a dragon. Mostly a dragon.

    My best friend -- no lie -- wanted to be a water buffalo when he grew up.

    Sadly, (or happily) we are all still human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny when the first trailer came out a good friend of mine sent me the link in an email saying: HOLY SHIT PIXAR MADE A MOVIE ABOUT YOU. Which of course I had to check out :) I am so excited for Brave. Will be dragging my husband to see that one-- it's times like these I wish I lived back in the US so I could drag my little cousins to the movie :)

    Yeah, i think sometimes it's important to remember what you're not. because a lot of the things we want to be-- well, they aren't real. And the fact is, for the most part most people I know are pretty damn fabulous :) They need to stop beating up on themselves ;)

    ReplyDelete