Pages

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Oh, the things you find in Chinatown . . . .

Recently my husband and I were strolling through London's Chinatown. It looks stunning as the Chinese New Year has only recently passed (hello, year of the Dragon!) and most of the decorations are still up. For some reason, red paper lanterns make me happy. Stupidly, childishly happy.

Anyway, my husband bought this:

Doesn't that look adorable? Something you'd give to a small child as a party favour, right? 

Me: That is so cute.

Husband: Genn, do you know what it is?

Me: It's a comb, right?

Husband: Here, look at this.

Yup, that's a box cutter. A bunny box cutter? The f**k?

Me: It's a knife? They are selling box cutters that look like that? Who would buy that? Me and twelve-year-old girls.

Totally not an innocent child's toy anymore. Scary! 


Honestly, there are no words. I can't decide if this is totally brilliant or truly awful. Clearly it's marketed for children. As the writing is all in Chinese I can't tell if it says-- 'not suitable for children' or 'great for fending off attackers'? However, there's just something about a happy looking bunny blanketed knife that just seems so wrong. What do you think?


5 comments:

  1. Hm...I've always wanted a weapon that was as cute as it is deadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::blinkity blinkity:: Just... can't... wrap my head around it....

    It could be for teenagers... I don't know.... One way or another, it's super kawaii....

    I'm conflicted. I like it, too! (But then I often find myself in situations where I want something because it's cute but it happens to be very, very deadly.... bear cubs, seal pups, tiger kits, the occasional baby croc....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are seal pups deadly? I always thought they were a bit wussy...

    Then again, a seal pup could probably beat me up. Let's be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. OMG, that's crazy@
    2. OMG, you started a blog *jumps up and down*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! I had no idea. I was totally like-- how cute I should send this to my little cousins back in the US. Sigh. Schooled.

    ReplyDelete