Pages

Friday 16 March 2012

Rhinos v Unicorns Round Two: The Rhino of Revision


I've got the big time fear on. I'm revising my manuscript. It's the first one that doesn't suck (and no, I'm not being too hard on myself). This manuscript is good. It's solid. It might be something great. I've done most of the hard work and I'm now in the process of getting it ready for trusted readers. I've already had some early partial feedback from my writing buddies and I know that what I have is a solid story. More than a solid story, maybe the story. The story that could actually go somewhere.

So of course, the fear has set in . . .

What if, even after all the work I've done, this sucks. What if I'm just deluding myself? What if? What if? What if?



I could make myself crazy with what ifs. I could cripple my whole revision process with what ifs. What ifs are easy. What ifs are illusionary. What ifs can be both beautiful and ugly. But, much like unicorns, they are elusive and imaginary. They are actually impeding progress.

I'm a big fan of rhinos. They are pretty spectacular. I blogged about rhinos vs. unicorns a while ago here. And that's why for me when I revise I am all about the Rhino of Revision. He's a fierce creature. He stampedes through a fragile draft and takes no prisoners. I consider my first draft to be my 'monkey poo' draft. I just fling all KINDS of shit out there and see what happens. Generally, there's a plot, but I don't get too bogged down-- if a character decides they now want to be a unicyclist or mime or a ninja or runaway to join a circus I say-- ok, let's see what happens. And I go with that. Because I know, I know, the Rhino will come along and clean up the mess. And he always does. Always.

See, you need a Rhino. Because the 'what ifs' are really strong. Some of them are really beautiful. 'What if this is the book? The finally good enough book?' But, a rhino doesn't see the 'what ifs', he doesn't see the beauty, he's not afraid of the poo. A rhino gets in there and he corrals it all.

Because, when you let go of the 'what ifs' and you wade through the shit -- there's always some pretty spectacular flowers.


2 comments:

  1. Madam, you are my hero. Rock on, rhinos. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LONG LIVE RHINOS. Also, this is such a hard process-we can't AFFORD "what if's." They are too expensive.

    ReplyDelete